I Wonder If My Kids Will Ever Know....
~That TiVo is not in every house. My 6 year old daughter knows how to work it, and my 3 year old son asks me to "stop it" so he can go to the bathroom.
~That not all cameras have instant playbacks. "Cheese!"...click..."I wanna see!"
~That BetaMax once existed. My daughter's famous line regarding renting a DVD. "Can daddy put it on fire?" (Burn a copy)
~That there are music stores where you can purchase CDs. "Daddy, can you make me a Dora CD on the computer?"
~Before the internet became popular, you had to start up your computer by manually typing in a C prompt, and use MS-DOS.
~That people used to own pagers before cell phones as a means of tracking people down.
~That before DVD players, you had to pay hundreds of dollars to buy a laser disc player (looks like a cd, but 12 inches).
~That people actually wrote checks and sent them out in the mail to pay bills. (They think postage stamps are stickers).
~That postage stamps had to be licked to adhere to an envelope.
~That people used to have "pen pals", where they would actually use a pen and paper and put it in the mailbox, instead of e-mailing.
~How to change the ink ribbon in a typewriter....But I'm sure they'll pick up on toner cartridges fairly soon.
~That we used fax machines before scanners became popular.
~That developing pictures meant using up a whole 35 mm roll, taking it to the photo shop, and waiting 3 days for it to be developed.
~That the ditto machines in school made your paper smell like glue.
~That Asteroids and Pac-Man were about the only video games you could play, until Nintendo came out with Mario Bros, then Super Mario Bros.
~That school chalkboards used to be green, and you'd have to beat the erasers.
~That there were metal lunch boxes, not the cloth you see today.
Okay, I know there are more, but it was all I could think of. Remember, these are only about my kids now compared to my childhood. So even if you don't use online bill pay, we do and I just wonder if my kids will know that there are other ways of paying bills....


9 Comments:
it's so true, there are so many things i take for granted now that i'm sure my parents can only have imagined .. like time travel machines, teleport tubes and holographic rooms ... oh wait, scratch that ... i'm only in the 21st century in this lifetime. you humans have so much to look forward to!
Yep....I'm ready for the Jetson's lifestyle. I could soooooo use a Rosie right about now...I wish I could be like George and just get up from bed and the machines would shower me, brush my teeth, and dress me!!!
Tivo? We do not even have cable!
Todays youth will never know about dialing a phone on a rotary phone.
Ahhhh! Thank you!! I forgot all about rotary phones! And school paste (not glue), aluminum can pull tabs (juices)......
Betamax?
Are you too young to know about BetaMax??!! Oh, I REALLY feel old! :) They were the little cassette tapes that were out before VHS tapes. The Beta players actually ejected the tapes from the top of the machine. Its kind of like what an 8 track is to an audio cassette....Well hey, now that there are cd's and dvd's, who cares about either? ;)
that is true. it's a whole new world.
i'm re-reading this post and find that your 'time-capsule' is very telling of the gap in generations when it comes to technology. i wonder if this is how my mom feels when i turn on the computer; she didn't allow us to have a TV as a child, so you can imagine how much of a technophobe she is.
Nice to finally hear from you! My mom is like that, too. She still doesn't know how to turn on a computer. The only electronics she knows how to work is the telephone and tv (channels only, not programming or set up or anything)...
Post a Comment
<< Home