Weekend Update
* A's lost the last 2 games against the Yankee's (sob, sob). Today, they lost to the Red Sox, the score is 13-5.
* Jade didn't want to get me a coffee mug, so she got me another Oakland jersey and a dozen roses. Awww, what a sweetie!!
* Went to the San Jose flea market to stock up on the family's underwear and sunglasses. So many great deals!!! I'm so bummed because I heard that they are going to close it down permanently. I guess they sold the land and the new folks want to build condos. Can't say I blame them, I guess. That would make them tons more money than operating a flea market. But there's just nothing else like the SJ flea market around here. I guess we'll have to go to Roseville/Denaio's from now on (not nearly as big as SJ, but still worthwhile).
*Worked my ass off at the gym. I'm now squatting 135 lbs, which is more than what I weigh. I just can't seem to get rid of the flabby blubber covering my triceps. I do french presses, tricep kickbacks, and dips on the bench. May need to consult with a trainer? I don't know, it just sucks when I'm at a baseball game, and I'm waving my little green and gold pom-pom, and all I can feel are my arms shaking back and forth. Gross.
*After living in this house for 2 years, my husband finally tried out our dishwasher!!! I was amazed! He unloaded the clean dishes and loaded the dirty ones, put in the Electrosol tab and pushed the start button!!! And without any prompting from me!!! Whoa..... At our old house, he's washed the dishes twice in the 5 years we've lived there.
* Kaleb's had a really tough day today. We went to the dentist to get a filling, and he flipped out towards the end. Then for their afternoon snack, Jade wanted to make fruit kebobs. So of course, monkey see, monkey do. Instead of waiting for his sister to do it for him, he wanted to do it himself. Tried to push an apple through (tougher than the oranges and strawberries) and ended up stabbing himself on his right index finger (yes, it did bleed). Then he was playing with dad tonight, (horsey) and ended up falling off Ro's back and bumped his head. I heard that thump (wooden floors on a concrete slab) from the other side of the house.
* I think I'm going to have a talk with Jade's principal. Last month, her short story won the county writing contest and she competed with the first graders in her entire school district. Her principal hasn't even acknowledged it! I don't know if he knew about it or not, but isn't that something he, as a principal, should be proud of about his student in his school? Is that too "look at me" (or in this case, "look at my kid")? Should I just keep my mouth shut?


10 Comments:
i love going to the flea market -- but it's been several years i last went. back then, i and two friends would go to the flea market every other weekend. we would spend the morning/afternoon there walking around. it was our way of catching up on business, can you believe that?
one friend was the head webmistress and the other headed up the tradeshow/events group. i was heading up public relations. getting together allowed us to get some work stuff done without dealing with office politics. we had such a blast filling up on hotdogs and popcorn (of course, we would regret it the next day!).
the best part: whatever we bought at the flea market could be written off as work-related expense! once, i found a whole box of -- get this! -- barbie heads! i bought the box of about 100 barbie heads for $20, i was feeling generous. what did i do with those barbie heads? i made christmas ornaments out of them -- painted, dyed, glued, glittered, etc. the tree actually looked fun and twisted that year! my sister has the barbie head ornaments now.
I used to love going to the SJ flea market...Jhonnie's a big flea market person! If it wasn't san jose...we'd go to Santa Cruz..which is not bad. Fresno has alot too, but nothing beats san jose!
And YES, I think you should bring that up with the principal! That kinda thing shouldn't go unrecognized!
NL: Barbie Heads??!! Who was selling them? That's hilarious...at least you made them useful!!
AA: do you go to Santa Cruz?! Maybe we can meet there one of these days...I'm about 2 hours away!
i don't have kids, so my child-rearing skills and experience are extremely limited ...
Is that too "look at me" (or in this case, "look at my kid")? Should I just keep my mouth shut? ... you would be a model mom if you speak to the principal immediately. time is your enemy when news break. this is the kind of gems that most schools are looking for. you must not tell him over the phone, but invite him to coffee/tea (in the school's cafeteria).
in your meeting with him, you need to convey what his plans are to communicate an example of a success. present to him a one-pager plan of taking your kid's success story to the local media (i can help you with this - no charge), and the key messages he needs to deliver when the media calls.
of course, you'll also tell him the other spokespeople include the district's superintendent, and that you'll contact the supe directly if he's too busy (believe me, he won't be too busy for this).
holy crap, that's a lot of weight!
i've lost a tiny amount of flab from my triceps. i can't remember where i saw it, but it's best to work your biceps and triceps in the same day/workout. i do my shoulders on separate days.
i think the bicep/tricep combo routines really helps. it's better than when i did triceps on one day and biceps on the other.
so, how is your communications plan coming along? if you need help with it, i have some time today. depending on where you are, we can hang out at a nice cafe in noe valley, or if you like a rougher crowd, there's one i know in the mission district.
just let me know if you want some help with it, we can come up with a plan in an hour or so.
well, you were right...time is of the essence, there's no interest in it now because it's so old...winners were announced late March, so.....
And it turns out that Jade told her principal and he said "Oh, congratulations." and that was it. I was in a board meeting all day today, but I'm gonig to call to make an appointment with him this week to let him know how I feel about it.
all is not lost! i think that it still makes a good human-interest story for the local newspaper (not broadcast) because of the education system is under attack, and the school, but also reporters, want some 'good' news.
i realized she didn't invent the west nile virus vaccine, but i think you still have a shot at getting some publicity .. perhaps tie it to her birthday, graduation, etc.
just remember that local papers are understaff, so they prob need 3-4 weeks to work out the story. i can help you write the pitch if you want.
that sounds great!!! Thank you! (What do you do?)
well, i'm in technology marketing (seems like everyone in the bay area does this!) - when you're on my blog next, click on "search" - it's near the top, have a laugh!
and hope spiders don't scare you!
as for the barbie heads -- it was just a woman who had all these barbie heads that she wanted to get ride off -- she had them from when her daughters had them, and she just didn't want to dump them. i forget the whole story, but that's the jest of it.
Post a Comment
<< Home