short and sweet

The daily challenges of being a recently divorced single working mom to a 7 and 4 year old, dieting/excercise struggles, my obsession with the Oakland Athletics, my cheeeeeeseburger addiction and anything else that comes with being a woman these days!

Saturday, June 04, 2005

It Fits!!!!!

I'm so ecstatic, I can't believe this!!! It must be a miracle!!!

Okay, here's my story in a nutshell (I know the guys probably couldn't care less, but anyone who's struggled with weight issues can feel where I'm coming from)

Before I had kids, I was a size 0 and weighed 92 lbs. I almost didn't make the minimum weight requirements to get into the military way back when, except my recruiter knew I was trying to get to 103 lbs and couldn't, so she just wrote that I weighed 103 anyway. So, here I am, 92 lbs. I got pregnant a few years later. My first pregnancy was really hard. I went into labor going into my 7th month and was put on bedrest for the rest of my pregnancy and had to get steroid shots 2-3x a week to help develop Jade's lungs in case she came out early. So I shot up to almost 160 lbs. (Bedrest means laying down if possible, rather than sitting, and only having bathroom "privileges". No cooking, no getting the mail, absolutely no walking or excercise of any kind) It was difficult to get the weight off after she was born, but 2 years later, I started running 2 miles a day during my lunch break when I worked at the Sheriff's Office (I would run with the other deputies). Some of my weight came off, and I got to a size 5. Then I got pregnant with my son. For some reason, I didn't gain anything but maybe 5 lbs all the way up to my fifth month. Then bam! Back to 160. Eek! And I have to say, I have a REALLY tiny frame, and I'm only 5'3", so after I gave birth and went down to 145, I was wearing size 13 clothes. Since the beginning of this year, I've really been watching what I eat and go to the gym semi-religiously. I started knocking off the weight. The last time I bought new pants (about 2 and a half months ago) I was stunned that I got my ass into size 6 pants!!! Holy shit!!! Then today, I decided to buy some more slacks to try to woo potential employers with my sense of style (just kidding, I was swimming in my old suits and slacks). I FIT INTO SIZE 4 SLACKS!!!! It's a friggin miracle!!! I'm still in shock!!! I told myself that I would get to a size four and stop, because I would be completely happy with it. But, I think I'm going to go for a size 2 now. Not because I'm being greedy, etc. but because I tried to buy a new bikini (my old swimsuit is about 3 years old and fit my size 13 body) and my weight is still disproportionate to my tiny body frame. I mean, my thighs and ass are still large, and when you go down the length of my thighs and legs, you get to my skinny little chicken ankles. Makes me look like an elephant with toothpick ankles. Remember the cartoon character, Henrietta Hippo? That's me! So again, even though I made it to a size 4, I'm still at 30% bodyfat, which is pretty high. I believe that it's considered overweight (I think 18%p to 28% is normal, 28 being the absolute highest I should be and 22-24% being normal). So anyway, I just wanted to share the good news because I'm about to burst!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

12 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

well, i'm sorta on a diet (not really), but i do hope to loose about 5 pounds .. that will put me back to my weight when i entered college (150lbs).

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Julie said...

restricting your carbs for 2 weeks will drop that weight. Its just not safe to continue eating like that. After you do the 2 week stint, ease your way back into good carbs (i.e. fruits, whole grain wheat products, etc.)

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

two weeks? don't think i can go that long without pasta -- i have pasta about every other day!

one nasty habit i have is to graze or nurse my drinks all day .. so, i've learned that if i brush my teeth immediately after a meal, i keep my grazing to a minimum (and nursing a cup of coffee doesn't count).

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I was like that too. I ate white rice every day. Then I cut it out. It was hard, but I lived through it. And now I still have white rice, but not too much. and you're right, coffee doesn't count (depending on how you have it). That's really good , Nam, being only 5 lbs heavier than what you were almost 15 years ago!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kis Lee said...

size 2? i hate you.

however i can relate about being a short girl. i'm 5'1'' and i know that a few extra lbs can really show on a short chick.

still...2? i think i was a 2 back in junior high. 5/6 is low as i can get. i got too much junk in the trunk.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Barbara aka Yooni said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Barbara aka Yooni said...

ok...you have seriously got to give me somel tips. I'm actually getting acupuncture to decrese my appetite and speed up my matobolism...and so far i think it's working...guess im going to have to wait and see. im proud of you jules!~!~

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Julie said...

LE: Well, I don't have nothing in the trunk, but a spare tire around my waist! Be thankful. Not many Asian girls have an ass, you should be proud that you have shape!
Yeah, the height thing kills. I know girls that weigh 145 (my weight at size 13) and were 5'6" and wore size 4's . Argh!
Barbs: Ooohhhh!! Let me know how the accupuncture goes for the weight loss. That sounds very interesting! I've heard dieting on "Han~Yak" works, too. Never tried it, but thats what I've heard...

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Kis Lee said...

i've heard that the wrong combo of han-yak can actually lead to weight gain. i can't stand the smell, so i've never tried it.

acupuncture for weight loss sounds interesting. it's better than fasting, i guess. hehe.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Girl, me too! That shit stinks like a dirty ass that hasn't been washed in weeks! (Okay, not that I really know what that smells like, but you get the idea...lol)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Barbara aka Yooni said...

well actually now a days, they make these pill like *thingies* so it's easier to eat (for the han-yak)...and doesn't smell..except for when i burp,heh
Dude..LE I'd better not gain...you're scaring me...it's only been a few days, but i can already tell that my eating and appetite has decreased..but who knows..i have to keep up with the excersize too...blah~

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Julie said...

So you're taking the pills? Are those expensive, too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home