short and sweet

The daily challenges of being a recently divorced single working mom to a 7 and 4 year old, dieting/excercise struggles, my obsession with the Oakland Athletics, my cheeeeeeseburger addiction and anything else that comes with being a woman these days!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Movie Night

Well, we finally got the movie "Monster" in the mail. We subscribe to Blockbuster online and we have this HUGE wishlist of about 60 movies (we've rented 55 since mid February) and finally made it down to this movie. All I can say is Oh...my...God! I could not take my eyes off the screen! I was just on the edge of my seat the entire time!!! What a great performance by Charlize Theron. Because her demeanor (like as if I really know her or something...lol) is just completely opposite of the character, but I truly believe she pulled it off because the entire time, I just saw her as "Lee", and not as Charlize with extra weight and make up. My jaw was on the floor pretty much throughout the movie, along with my bug eyes. I was just horrified with the graphic first murder scene. I've never seen anything like that before in movies, and could not get that image out of my mind, with the john kicking it in (for those of you who have watched this, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about). I know things like that exist in the world, but for some reason, my naivete chooses to believe that people on this planet are not that bad. That we do not act as such disgusting animals towards each other. Even at smaller levels. In my experience with going to baseball games, especially. I can't stand how these opposing fans just are so nasty to each other. Just because they like the other team. My husband and I were both in the military, so I'm sure this perception of mine stems from it. But I just can't believe how quick these so called "fans" are to get into fights and such. You know, we have men and women overseas, losing their lives or limbs, and they would probably give anything to be able to have the opportunity to watch a live game, drinking ice cold beer, eating hot dogs and nachos. But yet, we become completely antagonistic as soon as we find out that so and so doesn't like the same team as us? I mean, come on...opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. I feel like screaming, "Just watch the game!!! And stop drinking so much if you can't control your potty mouth." My kids are with me and I would prefer if they don't get caught in the line of fire and get trampled on or a chair or fist thrown their way, or have their ears filled with vulgar and filthy language. If I wanted to do that, I would've taken my ticket and parking money and taken them to a biker bar. All right, I'm getting off my soap box....I just wish the world was perfect. That's all. No crime, no poverty, healthy babies, top notch education system, etc. Is that too much to ask for? (Okay, I'm getting back in from la la land).

10 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

what a bizarre coincidence - i just rented this movie last night, but haven't played it yet! your review makes it sound so good, i'll probably see it shortly to have a mellow afternoon. i'm heading to the beach in a few, and then come back to watch it; sooner if it's too cold at the beach!

i'll have to come back to give my impression.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Julie said...

We're on the same wavelength! We must be tele-pathetic. he he.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

great .. err, rather, insane .. minds do think alike!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Kis Lee said...

i saw that movie w/ my boyfriend. i enjoyed it; he hated it [he hates anything depressing].

i thought christina ricci did the better acting job. she was so manipulative in a naive sort of way. despite the makeup and acting, i kept seeing charlize, the actress and not the character.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

holy bejesus!! what an incredible movie -- i actually started to feel sympathy for aileen at the end -- where was mark geragos, johnnie cochran or gloria alread when aileen needed a good hollywood celeb lawyer?

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Julie said...

And I heard they didn't even believe she was raped by that first guy....not until an investigative reporter found out about his violent sex crimes after she was convicted. The system did not care about her at all.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

to be honest, i can't say i sympathize with her. she is definitately a product of her environment, but i do think we all intrensically know right from wrong. killing is wrong. on a bigger scale, i do not support the death penalty.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Julie said...

ahhh!!!What a coinky-dink!!!I don't believe in the dealth penalty either. And I agree, she was aproduct in her environment, and murder is wrong, I'm just saying that because of the murders, they just basically wrote her off without giving her an adequate defense. And I understand there are other circumstances involved (i.e. money, status, backlog of defense's work, etc.) But isn't this what gets innocent people exhonerated from death row?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

nah, that was the good ole day when you could get off easily enough .. these days, you get san quintin, just like scott peterson.

i spoke with oj simpson recently, and he busily looking for nicole's killer when he's not playing golf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home